Friday 15th of July 2022 11:12:11 AM |
3D CAD models are designed to be used in a professional environment such as industry, manufacturing, architecture agencies, design studios,... These 3D files can be manipulated by specific CAD software.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of these CAD software: Fusion 360 Autodesk, Solidworks, CorelCAD, AutoCAD, Tinkercad, FreeCAD, SketchUp, Bentley, LibreCAD, IRONCAD, Solid Edge, SOLVESPACE, BRL-CAD, Rhino, Siemens NX, QCAD, PTC , CATIA or OpenSCAD.
Converting a 3D CAD model can be done on its original design software but if you don't have access to it or it doesn't work, there is another way to do it. Please follow the tutorial below:
Convert a 3D CAD model to .GLB or .OBJ files with CAD Assistant
CAD Assistant is a 3D software that offers a free viewer and converter for commercial use. To download it, follow this link: https://www.opencascade.com/products/cad-assistant/
How to convert:
- Open CAD Assistant
- Select a 3D file to import in the following format: STP (STEP), IGS (IGES), LOG, OFF, 3DM, VRML, WRL, MSH, XBF, BREP, GLB, GLTF or OBJ
- Export the file by saving it in .GLB or .OBJ format
Note that the .GLB format will retain more details of your model (organization of the meshes), the .OBJ model will bring all the meshes together it will then simplify any further processing on the 3D model such as reducing its size: Tutorial on reducing the size of a CAD 3D model
Video tutorial for CAD Assistant conversion and Augmented Reality display with AR Code
Converting a 3D CAD model to other file formats
Once your file is in .GLB or .OBJ format, it becomes easily convertible by classic 3D software like Blender or MeshLab. To download these software, please follow the links below:
7477 AR experiences
1,123 Scans per day
Top Blog Posts
- How do I scan AR Codes?
- AR QR Codes: the future of Interactive Advertising
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D file (.stl, .obj, .fbx, .dae to .glb or .gltf) on AR Code Studio ?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Create an AR photo on AR Code
- AR Code technology, the future of Museums and Art exhibitions
- What is the difference between a QR Code and an AR Code?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Generate 3D Text on AR Code
- AR Codes: How they work & applications in education
- AR Video: play videos over Augmented Reality QR Codes
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of a 3D model in Blender (GLB, GLTF, DAE, FBX, OBJ...)?
- How to use Augmented Reality Codes in Real Estate business?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to create an AR Portal and anchor it with an AR Code?
- Augmented Reality QR Codes in sports centers
- How Augmented Reality Codes can make our Cities Smarter
- AR Logo, to automatically design 3D logos from SVG image files
- Uploading 3D models on AR Code, what File Size and Format?
- How to create "Text to AR" experiences with the AR Text app by AR Code?
- How to add Augmented Reality on a Business Card with an AR QR Code ?
- How to display a 3D scan photogrammetry in Augmented Reality with an AR Code
- How to track and retarget users from your AR QR Code experiences?
- What are Custom Pages & How to create one ?
- Here is how AR Code is going to transform industrial and manufacturing companies
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of an industrial 3D CAD model with MeshLab and Blender?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D CAD model from STP STEP or IGS IGES formats to GLB or OBJ