VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D CAD model from STP STEP or IGS IGES formats to GLB or OBJ
Tutorials | Friday 17th of March 2023 11:12:11 AM |
3D CAD models are essential in professional settings such as industry and manufacturing, architecture firms, and design studios. These files can be manipulated and edited using specialized CAD software.
The Main CAD Software
Here are some of the most popular CAD software used by professionals:
- Fusion 360 Autodesk: A cloud-based 3D CAD, CAM, and CAE platform for product development.
- Solidworks: A 3D CAD software for product design and development, providing tools for creating, simulating, and visualizing designs.
- CorelCAD: A 2D and 3D CAD software with precision tools for creating technical drawings and designs.
- AutoCAD: A 2D and 3D CAD software with tools for drafting, detailing, and visualization.
- Tinkercad: A browser-based 3D CAD software with an intuitive interface for designing models for 3D printing and other applications.
- FreeCAD: An open-source 3D CAD software with tools for modeling, simulation, animation, and collaboration.
- SketchUp: A 3D CAD software with an easy-to-use interface for creating and editing models for architecture, engineering, and construction.
- Bentley: A 3D CAD software for infrastructure design and construction with tools for modeling, analysis, and simulation.
- LibreCAD: An open-source 2D CAD software with tools for creating geometric shapes, dimensions, and annotations.
- IRONCAD: A 3D CAD software for creating mechanical and industrial designs with tools for modeling, simulation, and animation.
- Solid Edge: A 3D CAD software for creating mechanical and industrial designs with tools for modeling, simulation, and visualization.
- SOLVESPACE: An open-source 3D CAD software for engineering and product design with tools for modeling, simulation, and visualization.
- BRL-CAD: An open-source 3D CAD software for engineering and scientific research with tools for modeling, simulation, and visualization.
- Rhino: A 3D CAD software for product design, architecture, and engineering with tools for modeling, simulation, and visualization.
- Siemens NX: A CAD software for product engineering and development, and manufacturing, with advanced tools for 3D modeling, simulation, and documentation.
- QCAD: A 2D CAD software with a simple interface for creating accurate and detailed 2D drawings.
- PTC: A CAD software for 3D modeling, design, simulation, and analysis, with advanced modeling tools, parametric design, rendering, animation, and simulation capabilities.
- CATIA: A CAD software for product design and development with comprehensive tools for 3D modeling, simulation, and rendering.
- OpenSCAD: A CAD software for creating 3D models of parts and assemblies using code-based descriptions, with support for 2D and 3D modeling and the ability to generate models from mathematical equations.
If you want to convert a 3D CAD model but don't have access to the original design software or it doesn't work, there is another way to do it. Here's a tutorial on how to convert 3D CAD models:
Convert a 3D CAD Model to .GLB or .OBJ Files with CAD Assistant
CAD Assistant is a free 3D software that offers a viewer and converter for commercial use. To download it, follow this link: https://www.opencascade.com/products/cad-assistant/
Here's how to convert a 3D CAD model using CAD Assistant:
- Open CAD Assistant
- Select a 3D file to import in the following format: STP (STEP), IGS (IGES), LOG, OFF, 3DM, VRML, WRL, MSH, XBF, BREP, GLB, GLTF or OBJ
- Export the file by saving it in .GLB or .OBJ format
Note that the .GLB format retains more details of your model (organization of the meshes) while the .OBJ format brings all the meshes together and simplifies further processing on the 3D model, such as reducing its size. Here's a tutorial on how to compress and reduce the size of an industrial 3D CAD model using MeshLab and Blender: Tutorial on reducing the size of a CAD 3D model
Video Tutorial for CAD Assistant Conversion and Augmented Reality Display with AR Code
Converting a 3D CAD Model to Other File Formats
Once your file is in .GLB or .OBJ format, it can be easily converted using classic 3D software such as Blender or MeshLab. Here are the links to download these software:
- Blender: Blender is a free and open-source 3D creation software used for making animations, models, artwork, and games. It supports a wide range of 3D modeling techniques and features including modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging, and animation. It also supports post-production editing, such as compositing and video editing. https://www.blender.org/download/
- MeshLab: MeshLab is an open-source, portable, and extensible system for the processing and editing of unstructured 3D triangular meshes. It offers a wide range of features for editing, filtering, cleaning, and rendering 3D meshes. MeshLab can import and export a wide range of formats, including OBJ, STL, PLY, OFF, 3DS, COLLADA, PTX, and V3D, among others. https://www.meshlab.net/#download
3D CAD models are an essential part of professional settings such as industry and manufacturing, architecture firms, and design studios. Specialized CAD software is used to create, manipulate, and edit these files. If you need to convert a 3D CAD model, CAD Assistant is a free software that can help. Once the file is converted to .GLB or .OBJ format, you can easily edit it further using software such as Blender or MeshLab.
Frequently asked questions
What are 3D CAD models used for?
3D CAD models are primarily used in professional settings such as industry and manufacturing, architecture firms, and design studios. They can be manipulated and edited using specialized CAD software.
Can a 3D CAD model be converted if I don't have access to the original design software?
Yes, you can use a free 3D software like CAD Assistant to convert a 3D CAD model. It offers a viewer and converter for commercial use and supports a wide range of formats.
What other software can be used to convert a 3D CAD model once it's in .GLB or .OBJ format?
Classic 3D software like Blender or MeshLab can be used to convert a 3D CAD model once it's in .GLB or .OBJ format. These software offer a wide range of features for editing, filtering, cleaning, and rendering 3D meshes.
23,886 AR experiences
87,916 Scans per day
Top Blog Posts
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of a 3D model in Blender (GLB, GLTF, DAE, FBX, OBJ...)?
- How Do I Scan AR Codes?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D file (.stl, .obj, .fbx, .dae to .glb or .gltf) on AR Code Studio ?
- AR Video: Play Videos Over Augmented Reality QR Codes
- AR QR Codes: The Future of Interactive Advertising
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Create an AR 3D Photo on AR Code
- What are Custom Pages & How to create one?
- What is the difference between a QR Code and an AR Code?
- AR Code Technology, The Future of Museums and Art exhibitions
- AR Codes: How They Work & Applications in Education
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Generate 3D Text on AR Code
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to create an AR Portal and anchor it with an AR Code?
- How to add Augmented Reality on a Business Card with an AR QR Code ?
- How to use Augmented Reality Codes in Real Estate business?
- AR Logo, to Automatically Design 3D logos from SVG image files
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to Display a 3D Scan Photogrammetry in Augmented Reality with an AR Code
- Uploading 3D Models on AR Code, What File Size and Format?
- Augmented Reality QR Codes in Sports Centers
- How to create "Text to AR" experiences with the AR Text app by AR Code?
- How Augmented Reality Codes Can Make our Cities Smarter ?
- How AR Code is going to Transform Industrial and Manufacturing Companies
- How to Track and Retarget Users from your AR QR Code Experiences?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D CAD model from STP STEP or IGS IGES formats to GLB or OBJ
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of an industrial 3D CAD model with MeshLab and Blender?
- AR Codes on Packaging to Display 3D Animations, Videos, or Data in Augmented Reality
- Scan AR Codes to Display Products from an Online Store in Augmented Reality
- AR QR Codes for Event Promotional Materials: Brochures, Posters, or Flyers
- 3D Models GLB & USDZ and AR QR Codes of Concept Cars and Auto Parts
- 3D Models GLB & USDZ of Museum Artworks and Their AR Codes
- Apple to Release Augmented Reality Headset in Spring 2023
- Enhancing Sports Events with AR Code: bring the FIFA World Cup to life
- Educational 3D Models GLB & USDZ and their AR QR Codes: Enhancing Learning for Students
- Industrial 3D Models GLB & USDZ and their AR Codes: Equipment, Tools and Machines
- 3D NFTs can be viewed in Augmented Reality with an AR QR Code
- Celebrating Christmas with Augmented Reality Codes
- Brands' AR Logos and Their GLB & USDZ 3D Models
- Apple Reality Code: The Future of AR and QR Codes on RealityOS
- Metaverse, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality: Apple's and Meta's plans
- Augmented Reality Glasses to Replace Smartphones Within 10 Years ?
- Decorative Vases: downloadable 3D Models GLB & USDZ with corresponding AR Codes
- Marketing Agencies can easily offer AR Solutions using AR Code
- Augmented Reality QR Codes Enhance Collaborative Product Design
- Furniture AR Codes and Their 3D Models in GLB & USDZ Formats
- Digitalizing Restaurant Menus with Augmented Reality QR Codes
- Augmented Reality QR Codes in Corporate Product Catalogs
- 8thWall VS AR Code: Comparing WebAR SaaS for Your Business
- App Clip Codes and Apple Reality Codes: anchoring Augmented Reality Experiences on iOS 17 and RealityOS
- How AR QR Codes in Books and Magazines are Transforming the Reading Experience
- Blippar VS AR Code: WebAR SaaS Platforms Compared
- AR FaceTime on the Apple Reality Pro Headset at WWDC 2023
For great Augmented Reality experiences, use devices with LiDAR sensors like the iPhone Pro: