VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of an industrial 3D CAD model with MeshLab and Blender?
Wednesday 22nd of June 2022 03:09:28 PM |
We previously published a tutorial on reducing the size of any 3D model with Blender, a method suitable for most 3D models including animated ones. But for some static CAD models that have very high definition, there is a way to get a better result for your final AR render.
This method supports the following 3D CAD file formats: STL, OBJ, STP, IGS, OFF, GLTF, GLB, WRL, BREP, XBF, PLY, MSH, PNG, LOG, ES, 3DS, QOBJ, PTX, VMI, PTS, APTS, XYZ, PDB, TRI, ASC, TXT, X3D, X3DV, FBX, BRE, DAE and E57.
What is an industrial 3D CAD model?
CAD stands for Computer Aided Design, it is mainly used to name the 3D modeling done for parts and assemblies in industry.
Because they need high definition to enter production, they are modeled on dedicated 3D CAD software such as: Fusion 360 Autodesk , Solidworks, CorelCAD, AutoCAD, Tinkercad, FreeCAD, SketchUp, Solid Edge, Bentley, LibreCAD, SOLVESPACE, BRL-CAD, QCAD, IRONCAD, PTC, CATIA, OpenSCAD, Rhino and Siemens NX.
The file formats used are also dedicated.
Reduce the size of an industrial 3D model
By using the method below, you can get a lighter CAD 3D model for augmented reality display via an AR Code.
As a first step, if you have access to the software used to design your model, you can reduce its number of vertices directly in it. If you can't have access to the software and to go further please refer to the method below with CAD Assistant, Meshlab, Blender and Gimp:
1 - STP, IGS, LOG, MSH, XBF files: Convert your 3D model with CAD Assistant (NON-animated model only)
CAD Assistant software is a free 3D CAD converter for personal and commercial use. You can download it here : https://www.opencascade.com/products/cad-assistant/
Import your 3D model into the interface, then export it in .GLB format. This simple conversion step will prepare your 3D model for the next step.
2 - Decimate your 3D model with MeshLab and/or Blender
Decimating a 3D model will reduce its number of vertices, this will result in a lower definition especially on the curved parts of your model. If the decimation is too high, some vertices may lose their texture information, making the model look like it has a hole. To avoid this, it is important to keep checking the rendering of the model after each decimation.
For the best result, we advise you to use both software: MeshLab and Blender. Blender can produce the best result for most 3D models. MeshLab will only be used for very high definition static models that are seeing decimating issues on Blender.
Decimation with Blender: (https://www.blender.org/download/)
- Import your 3d file (GLB, GLTF, DAE, ABC, USD, BVH, PLY, STL, FBX and X3D only)
- Select the first mesh to decimate
- Do the decimation as below, try to define each mesh under 40,000 faces. If decimation create UVs holes in your model, we recommend you to do a Meshlab decimation first. Its decimation algorithm differs from that of Blender, the result may be better.
- Export your model in *.glb format by selecting "Apply modifiers" but not the "Compress" option.
Decimation with Meshlab: (https://www.meshlab.net/#download)
- Import your 3d file (ES, 3DS, PLY, STL, OBJ, OFF, QOBJ, PTX, VMI, PTS, APTS, E57, GLTF, GLB, XYZ, PDB, TRI, ASC, TXT, X3D, X3DV, FBX, WRL, BRE, DAE and E57)
Then depending on whether it is textured or not, select:
- Textured: Filters > Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction > Simplification: Quadric Edge Collage Decimation (with texture)
- Not textured: Filters > Remeshing, Simplification, and Reconstruction > Simplification: Quadric Edge Collage Decimation
Set a number of faces that will preserve the quality of your model.
Export your 3D model in *.obj format to include any textures.
3 - Compress textures with Gimp
This step is only necessary if your model has image textures.
- Import your 3D model into Blender
- Export your 3D model in .gltf + .bin + textures
- Open texture files in GIMP
- Scale images (to 1024X1024 or less if higher compression is needed)
- Export textures in *.jpg format with a resolution of 90 (or less if higher compression needed)
- Edit your .gltf file with a text editor by replacing the texture formats if needed (here ".png" to ".jpg")
- Save it
4 - Convert your model to .GLB for an upload on AR Code
To convert your model and export it:
- Import your model into Blender
- If you have already decimated your model with Meshlab, you can try adding a Blender decimation as detailed in the 2nd step.
- Export your model in *.glb format, select "Apply modifiers" but not the "Compress" option.
You can now easily upload your 3D model to the AR Code platform.
Video tutorial to reduce the size of a CAD 3D model
Here is the video describing each step of reducing the size of a 3d model with Blender and Gimp.
6891 AR experiences
1,031 Scans per day
Top Blog Posts
- How do I scan AR Codes?
- AR QR Codes: the future of Interactive Advertising
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to convert a 3D file (.stl, .obj, .fbx, .dae to .glb or .gltf) on AR Code Studio ?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Create an AR photo on AR Code
- AR Code technology, the future of Museums and Art exhibitions
- What is the difference between a QR Code and an AR Code?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Generate 3D Text on AR Code
- AR Codes: How they work & applications in education
- AR Video: play videos over Augmented Reality QR Codes
- How to use Augmented Reality Codes in Real Estate business?
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to create an AR Portal and anchor it with an AR Code?
- Augmented Reality QR Codes in sports centers
- How Augmented Reality Codes can make our Cities Smarter
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of a 3D model in Blender (GLB, GLTF, DAE, FBX, OBJ...)?
- AR Logo, to automatically design 3D logos from SVG image files
- Uploading 3D models on AR Code, what File Size and Format?
- How to create "Text to AR" experiences with the AR Text app by AR Code?
- How to track and retarget users from your AR QR Code experiences?
- How to display a 3D scan photogrammetry in Augmented Reality with an AR Code
- What are Custom Pages & How to create one ?
- How to implement Augmented Reality on a Business Card with an AR QR Code ?
- Here is how AR Code is going to transform industrial companies and manufacturing
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to compress / reduce the size of an industrial 3D CAD model with MeshLab and Blender?